This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Buttery yellow potatoes and flavorful Italian sausage cooked together in a creamy, herb-filled soup base. The perfect hearty recipe to warm you up from the inside-out!
Nothing compares to enjoying a warm bowl of soup when it’s chilly outside! Especially when the soup is homemade, hearty, and packed with flavor. This creamy sausage and potato soup is the perfect recipe to make, but I’ll leave these other recipes here just in case you need more tasty soups in your life. Crack chicken soup, cheeseburger soup, and 8-can taco soup!
Potato and Sausage Soup
I’m a sucker for potato soup. Loaded baked potato soup, zuppa toscana, you name it! This creamy sausage and potato soup is the best addition to the list and is SO delicious. It’s nice and creamy without being too rich or heavy, and the flavor is out of this world.
The broth is chock full of fresh herbs, garlic, red pepper flakes, and parmesan cheese. If you’re not already convinced, then it has chunks of buttery petite yellow potatoes, tender carrots, and juicy Italian sausage in each bite. You need this soup in your life.
This is everything that you’ll need for the most hearty, savory broth and mouthwatering texture. I know you’re going to love this creamy sausage and potato soup as much as I do, and want to have it on repeat!
- Italian Sausage: Any type of ground Italian sausage will work! Sweet, mild, or hot, depending on your desired spice level.
- Minced Yellow Onion: Adds sweetness and flavor.
- Minced Garlic: So the soup has that mouthwatering savory flavor.
- Chopped Carrots: For some extra texture and heartiness.
- Chopped Kale: This leafy green adds a vitamin boost and extra texture.
- Italian Seasoning: A blend of herbs like oregano, basil, and thyme for classic Italian flavor.
- Fresh Parsley: Chopped to add herby flavor to the sausage and potato soup.
- Red Pepper Flakes: Adjust amount for desired heat level.
- Salt and Pepper: Season to your preference.
- Chicken Broth: Forms the base of the soup.
- Heavy Cream: Creates a rich and creamy texture. You can also use half and half if you’d like.
- Petite Yellow Potatoes: These are also called baby gold potatoes. Chopped small, they add bits of hearty texture to the soup. I love their creamy, buttery texture so much!
- Grated Parmesan: Melts into the soup for a pop of salty flavor.
How to Make Creamy Sausage and Potato Soup
Grab your soup pot and get ready to make some of this hearty, meaty goodness! It only takes 20 minutes for it all to cook up, making it a great choice for a weeknight dinner.
- Cook Sausage: Heat a large heavy bottom pot over medium high heat, add the italian sausage and onion and saute until the sausage is cooked through.
- Add Seasonings: Add in the garlic, Italian seasoning, fresh parsley, and red pepper flakes and saute for just another minute until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add Chicken Broth and Vegetables: Quarter the potatoes and add them to the pot along with the chicken broth, carrots, salt and pepper.
- Simmer: Bring everything to a boil then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the potatoes are fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- Mix In Cream and Cheese: Add the heavy cream and parmesan cheese to the pot and stir, cook the kale until it wilts, about 5 minutes. Remove the soup from heat and then serve fresh!
You know I’m all about ease and using ingredients that you already have in the fridge, so here are a few ways to customize your sausage and potato soup!
- Other Veggies: Swap the kale for spinach or add chopped zucchini, celery, bell peppers, or broccoli for extra color and nutrients.
- Use Half and Half: You can use half and half in place of the heavy cream. It won’t be quite as rich but still creamy! This is a great option to make your soup a little lighter.
- More Toppings: For more flavor and texture, add chopped green onions or crumbled bacon to your sausage and potato soup.
Other Cooking Methods
- Instant Pot: Brown the sausage and saute the veggies as usual, then toss in everything else except the cream and cheese. Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes, let the pressure release naturally, then stir in the cream and cheese.
- Slow Cooker: Brown the sausage in a separate pan if you like, then toss it in your Crockpot with all the other ingredients (except the cream and cheese). Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. When you’re ready to eat, simply stir in the cream and cheese and serve.
Storing Leftover Sausage and Potato Soup
Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Reheat individual portions in the microwave for one minute intervals until warmed through, or over the stove on medium heat.
Pin this now to find it later
Heat a large heavy bottom pot over medium high heat, add the italian sausage and onion and saute until the sausage is cooked through.
Add in the garlic, Italian seasoning, fresh parsley, and red pepper flakes and saute for just another minute until the garlic becomes fragrant.
Quarter the potatoes and add them to the pot along with the chicken broth, carrots, salt and pepper.
Bring everything to a boil then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the potatoes are fork tender, about 15 minutes.
Add the heavy cream and parmesan cheese to the pot and stir, cook the kale until it wilts, about 5 minutes. Remove the soup from heat and serve fresh!
Calories: 589kcalCarbohydrates: 8gProtein: 17gFat: 55gSaturated Fat: 28gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gMonounsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 155mgSodium: 1164mgPotassium: 401mgFiber: 1gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 4800IUVitamin C: 5mgCalcium: 196mgIron: 2mg
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.