This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Looking for a dinner that is both delicious and easy to make? This million dollar chicken casserole is the answer! The chicken is cooked to perfection and then combined with a creamy sauce and a crispy Ritz cracker topping. Flavor and texture so good, you’ll think it costs a million dollars!
Looking for more picky eater-approved casseroles that the whole family will love? I’ve got you covered! Try million dollar spaghetti, cheeseburger casserole, or crack chicken casserole next!
Recipe for Million Dollar Chicken Casserole
This million dollar chicken casserole is a true crowd-pleaser, even for the pickiest eaters! The combination of tender chicken, creamy sauce, and crispy Ritz cracker topping is so irresistible. The flavors are perfectly balanced, and the textures are so satisfying. Plus it’s simple to throw together for busy weeknights!
I know what you’re thinking: this casserole sounds like it’s packed with calories. And you’re right, it is. But it’s so satisfying and delicious, it’s worth every one! The perfect comfort food. Plus, you can always lighten it up a bit by using low-fat or fat-free dairy products. (Trust me, though, the creamy, buttery sauce is what makes it so amazing!)
The first step to making million dollar chicken casserole is to gather your ingredients. You will need boneless, skinless chicken, cream cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, garlic powder, onion powder, Ritz crackers, dried parsley, and butter. Once you have all of your ingredients, you’re ready to start cooking! Just layer everything and pop it in the oven.
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken: I used chicken breasts, but you can also use thighs if you prefer.
- Cream Cheese: Soften the cream cheese to room temperature for easier mixing.
- Cottage Cheese: Cottage cheese adds a creamy texture and a subtle tangy flavor to the casserole. You can also substitute it with ricotta cheese for a similar consistency.
- Sour Cream: For a touch of acidity that makes the flavor so good!
- Cream of Chicken Soup: Cream of chicken soup is the base of the sauce and provides a savory flavor. You could also use cream of mushroom soup or cream of celery soup instead to switch up the flavor.
- Garlic Powder: Garlic powder adds a subtle garlicky flavor to the casserole. Use fresh minced garlic for more intense garlic flavor.
- Onion Powder: So your million dollar chicken casserole has some extra savory flavor.
- Ritz Crackers: Ritz crackers add a crispy topping to the million dollar chicken casserole. You can use other types of crackers, but Ritz crackers have a slightly salty flavor that complements the casserole well.
- Dried Parsley: For a little extra flavor. Fresh parsley can be used instead.
- Butter: Butter adds richness and flavor to the Ritz cracker topping. So tasty!
Million Dollar Chicken Casserole Recipe
This million dollar chicken casserole is a breeze to whip up. No fancy techniques or hard-to-find ingredients– just a handful of pantry staples and a few simple steps. The creamy sauce comes together effortlessly, and the Ritz cracker topping adds a delightful crunch that’s sure to impress even the pickiest eaters. Let’s get cooking!
- Preheat Oven, Prepare Pan: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and then spray a 9×9-inch casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sauce Mixture: In a large bowl add the cream cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix to combine.
- Add Chicken: Add the shredded chicken and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Crush Crackers: Add the crackers to a sealed Ziplock bag. Crush the crackers using a rolling pin or your hands.
- Combine With Butter: In a medium bowl add the crushed crackers. Pour in the melted butter and stir to coat the crackers.
- Add Topping: Sprinkle the casserole with the crushed Ritz cracker mixture.
- Bake: Bake uncovered for 40 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- Garnish: (Optional) Garnish with parsley if desired.
A few extra tips to keep in mind so your casserole turns out perfectly! I know you’re going to love this million dollar chicken casserole as much as I do.
- For Easy Prep: Use rotisserie chicken! It’s so easy to pick up from the store and then shred for your casserole.
- Use the Right Amount of Crackers: Too few crackers won’t provide enough crunch, while too many will make the topping too thick. Aim for a light and airy crumb.
- Bake Until Golden Crown: Million dollar chicken casserole is done when the topping is golden brown and bubbly. If the topping is still pale, let it bake for a few more minutes.
- Rest After Baking: This allows the flavors to meld and the casserole to set slightly.
- Add a Garnish: Fresh parsley or chives add a pop of color and freshness to the dish.
Good news- if you have any leftovers, they can be kept in the fridge and enjoyed later. This is one of those dishes that tastes just as good the next day!
- In the Refrigerator: Leftover million dollar chicken casserole can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- To Reheat: To reheat the casserole, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake the casserole for 20-30 minutes, or until heated through. You can also reheat individual servings in the microwave.
Can Million Dollar Chicken Casserole Be Frozen?
Yes, million dollar chicken casserole can be frozen. To freeze the casserole, let it cool completely, then wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Place the frozen casserole in a freezer-safe bag or container and freeze for up to 2 months. To thaw the casserole, place it in the refrigerator overnight. Then reheat as directed above.
Pin this now to find it later
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a 9×9-inch casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large bowl add the cream cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix to combine.
Add the shredded chicken and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
Add the crackers to a sealed Ziplock bag. Crush the crackers using a rolling pin or your hands.
In a medium bowl add the crushed crackers. Pour in the melted butter and stir to coat the crackers.
Sprinkle the casserole with the crushed Ritz cracker mixture.
Bake uncovered for 40 minutes until hot and bubbly.
Garnish with parsley if desired.
Calories: 369kcalCarbohydrates: 7gProtein: 28gFat: 25gSaturated Fat: 13gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0.3gCholesterol: 124mgSodium: 713mgPotassium: 489mgFiber: 0.1gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 778IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 83mgIron: 1mg
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.